Blood of Christ Inebriate Me


One of my favorite prayers is the Anima Christi (Soul of Christ). I pray it often, especially during those times I feel an urgent need to be "covered in and by Christ". I also sometimes pray it after receiving Holy Communion, or as a Spiritual Communion when I am unable to receive Jesus sacramentally.
The one line that always seems to strike the deepest chord is: Blood of Christ inebriate me. 
The most common definition of the word inebriate has very negative connotations of drunkenness, but a secondary definition is a bit more positive and appropriate for this prayer. The word can also mean exhilarate or excite(not necessarily with alcohol). I like the idea of being exhilarated by Christ's Precious Blood. To think that just one drop could have wiped away every sin, but that He gave it all is at the same time exhilarating as well as humbling.
July is the month dedicated to the Precious Blood of Christ. It is a good time to reflect on its saving power which we receive every time we receive the Eucharist. We can also call on the merits of Christ's blood in prayer.
If you click on the drop down menu above and go to July Devotions, you will find prayers and reflections on this incredible gift given freely to us and for us by Our Lord.
Here is the Anima Christi to get you started.
Thank You, Jesus for shedding Your Precious Blood for my sins and the sins of the world.


(Soul of Christ)

SOUL of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds, hide me.
Separated from Thee let me never be.
From the malignant enemy, defend me.
At the hour of death, call me.
To come to Thee, bid me,
That I may praise Thee in the company
Of Thy Saints, for all eternity.

Amen.