The Blessings and Graces of the Triduum


As a child, I remember learning about Holy Thursday, Good Friday and of course Easter Sunday. I don't remember hearing much about Holy Saturday. Although I knew what each of these days was about, I never really celebrated them. Mass, even on a regular Sunday, was not always attended. I ended up leaving my faith for a very long time.
When I returned to Christ and His Church six years ago, I felt like I was learning everything about my faith for the first time. I began reading Scripture along with the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I rediscovered the beauty of the Mass and now it wasn't just a committment, but a desire. So much so that I began attending daily Mass.
I remember celebrating that first Triduum after my return. I felt like someone opened up a treasure chest of blessings and graces. The bittersweetness of the Holy Thursday Mass leaves me speechless and in awe. It has become one of my favorite liturgies. Good Friday has become a day to stay close to our Blessed Mother so that I may walk the road to Calvary with Jesus and then stay beneath the Cross with her , Mary Magdalen and John. I now understand Holy Saturday; the day of holy waiting. Waiting in anticipation of what Jesus said He would do~ rise again on Easter Sunday. By truly celebrating each day of the Triduum, the joy of the Easter Vigil is multiplied many times over. The darkness of the church, then the lighting of the Holy Fire. Then the church becomes illuminated by the lighting of individual candles from the Paschal Candle. The bells ringing throughout the Gloria and finally after the long season of Lent, we can sing out Alleluia once again. This is truly a feast for the soul and the senses!
Six years later, I still feel the same excitement and passion I felt at that first Triduum~ maybe even more if that is possible.
Last night's Holy Thursday Mass was beautiful as always with what I belive to be an added blessing. The Mass is always concelebrated by our three parish priests .(yes we are blessed to have 3 wonderful priests.) This year the main celebrant was our new priest who was ordained last May. It was his first Holy Thursday as a priest. I found myself feeling very moved by this. I also found it to be a blessing to be able to be there as he celebrated this Mass where Christ instituted the priesthood. It was evident how happy, yet humbled this man was and is to be a priest. You could hear it in his homily and see it in the reverence with which he celebrated this Mass.
Today is Good Friday. I will go to church to pray the Stations of the Cross and then celebrate the Good Friday liturgy, where at the Veneration of the Cross I always find tears in my eyes.
Tomorrow, Holy Saturday will be kept in silent prayer in anticipation of the Easter Vigil later that night. At midnight I have the awesome grace to be in our Adoration chapel. I feel a little like Mary Magdalen running to the tomb on that first Easter morning. I committed to that midnight hour in our chapel almost six years ago on Divine Mercy Sunday. At the time, it was the only hour available that worked with my schedule. I have come to see so much of God's grace in asking me to be with Him at that particular hour.
The Easter Triduum; the three days that allow me to celebrate and reflect on what my Lord and God did for me.

Comments