Not Just One of the Crowd


I don't know about you, but I always find Palm Sunday to be somewhat bittersweet. On the one hand the crowds gather to pay homage to Jesus, but many of these same people will change their "Hosanna's" to "Crucify him!"
I often wonder which I would have been if I had lived in Jesus' time. Would my Hosanna have changed to Crucify him? I realize that through my many sins I have crucified my Lord many times over throughout various times in my life. And though I am more aware of my sins now, I know that it still happens.
Today as I was standing following the Passion Narrative, I found myself telling myself, "Not this time; I don't want to be in the crowd this year."(or ever again for that matter.) I want to do as Mary Magdalene and John the Apostle did; stick close to our Blessed Mother and walk with her as she follows her Son to Calvary. As I had this thought, the Passion Narrative didn't stick in my throat the way it usually does. After this Gospel reading was finished, Father gave us a few minutes of silence to meditate on what we just read. My prayer during that time was to Our Lady. I asked her to keep me close to her, especially as we enter Holy Week, so that I may walk with her, St. Mary Magdalene and St. John and stand at Christ's Cross on Good Friday.
Part of being able to do this will involve making a good confession, which I plan to do on Tuesday or Wednesday evening. I need the grace to keep from stepping back into that maddening mob.
May we all have a blessed Holy Week, spending time with our Lord and remembering and re-entering into those days leading to His Passion. In doing this may we be able to sing an awesome Allelulia on Easter!

Comments