St Bernard And Christ's Passion



St Bernard of Clairvaux, whose feast we celebrate today, is the last of the Church Fathers as well as a Doctor of the Church. In his annals it is recorded that he asked Our Lord which was His greatest unrecorded suffering. Our Lord responded to Bernard:
"I had on My Shoulder, while I bore My Cross on the Way of Sorrows, a grievous Wound, which was more painful than the others, and which is not recorded by men. Honor this wound with thy devotion, and I will grant thee whatsoever thou dost ask through its virtue and merit. And in regard to all those who shall venerate this Wound, I will remit to them all their venial sins, and will no longer remember their mortal sins."
Friday is traditionally the day dedicated to Our Lord's Passion. One of the ways we can do this is with this prayer to the Shoulder Wound of Christ.
St Bernard, along with many of the saints, had a great devotion to Jesus Crucified. They speak of the endless treasures and graces in this devotion.
St Bernard, pray for us and by your intercession may we grow in love for our Crucified Lord.


Prayer To the Shoulder Wound of Christ
O Loving Jesus, meek Lamb of God, I miserable sinner, salute and worship the most Sacred Wound of Thy Shoulder on which Thou didst bear Thy heavy Cross, which so tore Thy flesh and laid bare Thy Bones as to inflict on Thee an anguish greater than any other wound of Thy Most Blessed Body. I adore Thee, O Jesus most sorrowful; I praise and glorify Thee, and give Thee thanks for this most sacred and painful Wound, beseeching Thee by that exceeding pain, and by the crushing burden of Thy heavy Cross to be merciful to me, a sinner, to forgive me all my mortal and venial sins, and to lead me on towards Heaven along the Way of Thy Cross. Amen.
(Imprimatur: Thomas D. Beven, Bishop of Springfield )

Comments

Hi Karinann,

I see we both posted on St. Bernard today ... just goes to show great minds think alike. :)

St. Bernard is a wonderful saint, meditating on Christ's shoulder wound is so appropriate for a Friday. Thank you. God bless you.
Unknown said…
Thanks Robert and Colleen.
Colleen- I learn a lot as well when I begin looking into the lives of these saints.
Hugs back!
I did not know this.

Was the Shoulder Wound done by carrying our sins?

Thanx Karinann. God bless.
Unknown said…
Victor, I have always thought of the cross as the weight of our sins so I imagine it caused a terrible wound.