If I Choose


Those are powerful words. In today's culture, they mean I can do what I want; the world thinks that is freedom, but it is license. When God says those words, there is true freedom in them. There is the freedom He gives us to choose life in Him through Christ in living out His commandments. That choice gives us the freedom to do what is right. If I choose to keep God's commandments, they will save me; if I trust Him He will save me. This is true choice, and by making it I choose to love God, not the world.
But I cannot make this choice by my own will. The ways and temptations of the world are too strong, and I am too weak. I need God and His grace to make this life giving choice. The psalmist gives us the words to beg for that grace: Open my eyes, instruct me, and give me discernment, that I may observe your laws and statutes and keep them with all my heart. (see Psalm 119) In order to be more righteous than the scribes and pharisees I need faith. They had none and so there righteousness was a self~centered one.
If I choose to keep God's commandments through faith, love and trust, the Spirit will reveal to me what eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and what has not entered the human heart, and all that God has prepared for those who love Him. (Corinthians 2:6~10)
So as Jesus continues His Sermon on the Mount today, outlining God's commandments, let us listen to Him with faith, love and trust. Let us beg Him for the grace to choose life~ life that is freely liven in Him and for Him.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautiful. God gives us the freedom to choose. We just have to want to hear him.

I like your blog. Blessings.
Mary N. said…
Karin,
Thank you. This is a beautiful reflection on true freedom!
Unknown said…
Thank you Colleen, Oceanida and Mary.
Blessings to you all.
With choice comes responsibility.

Sadly, too many people complement choice with selfishness.

God bless.
Unknown said…
Very good point Victor. If people understood the difference between license and true freedom of choice, they would see the responsibility involved and hopefully respond in a less selfish manner.
Thanks for your thoughts on this and God bless!