Conserving Spiritual Energy


We are constantly being told to conserve energy, along with other resources such as water. This is an important thing to do as we go through our lives and leave our imprint on this planet. However, more importantly perhaps is to conserve our spiritual energy so that we will have enough to live this earthly life according to God's will and spend Eternity with Him in the next life.
I was reading a reflection by Erasmo Leiva-Merikakis on today's Gospel about the blind man Bar-Timaeus. Two quotes from this reflection struck me: "Such joyful relinquishing of independence bestows extraordinary spiritual energy and vitality, because it connects one with the source of divine power." Bar-Timaeus showed great faith and trust in God; he showed humility and surrendered himself to God's power in asking Jesus to let him see. To do this we need to give our full attention to God. Erasmo gives some insight into this as well in this second quote: "But remember this requires an ability to pray continuously with great concentration and energy; and since we have only a limited supply of attention, we will be too weak and scattered to pray as we ought if we habitually squander our spiritual energy in other directions."
It is very easy in this non-stop world we live in to be distracted by it and squander our spiritual energy. We need to remain connected to the One who is the ultimate Source of Power.
In six days we begin the holy season of Lent. I always look forward to this season because it helps me to grow closer to Our Lord. It also allows me the time and grace to look at my life to see where I have squandered my spiritual energy and again through God's grace, restore some of it through fasting, increased prayer and almsgiving.
So as we prepare for another Lent, let us look to Bar-Timaeus, and as he did, cry out to Jesus with all trust and humility: "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!"

*Note: Erasmo Leiva-Merikakis is Cistercian monk of St Joseph's Abbey in Massachusetts.

Comments

Michael said…
Thank you for this. Its something I have been trying really hard to focus on (undistracted prayer). Now that I read your post - I might make it a goal for Lent.

God Bless.