The Wisdom To Ask For Wisdom


While I love the Gospel passage for today about the pearl of great price, the reading that God used to really speak to me was the first reading from the Book of Kings. It also seems that God is asking me to write on the Gifts of the Holy Spirit whenever I sit down to write lately, so I will continue that theme again this week.
In the passage we read today from 1Kings (or 3Kings if you are using a Douay Rheims translation) what struck me most was that in Solomon's dream, God tells him to ask for something. Because Solomon was humble he asks for wisdom and a wise and understanding heart in ruling his people. Now I have to admit, that when I read this passage on my own after Mass, I did a little Scripture cheating and read  verse 6 which was left out of today's reading at Mass and I also went a little beyond where the Mass reading stopped, but I am glad I did, because it was in this extra reading where I really saw Solomon's humility as well as God's limitless generosity.
Solomon knew that he was given a gift and privilege in following in his father, David's footsteps as king. I think he also felt like he was in a little over his head. Knowing this and acknowledging that he needed God's help, he asked God for wisdom. We see that God is very pleased with what Solomon asks for and because He is so very pleased with not only the request, but I also believe Solomon's humility, God showers him with riches and a long life on top of the great gift of wisdom.
 I think in this passage God wants to remind us that we do need to ask Him for what we need, but we need to do so as Solomon did with a humble heart. Wisdom is a gift of the Holy Spirit. I think God is very pleased with us when we ask Him through His Holy Spirit to enliven these spiritual gifts within us. I also believe that when we pray with humility and allow God to do as He wills, we find that he lavishes us with more than we may have even asked for. I have experienced this in my own life. Either God gives what I ask for or sometimes he takes care of something that has been weighing on me before I even take it to prayer, and sometimes when I think He has said "No" to me, when I step back a bit I find that He did answer the prayer, but had something better in mind for me than what I had asked.
In our world today so many are searching for something. In reality they are actually searching for Someone. With humility and wisdom they will see He is there right in front of them, Jesus, the Pearl and great Treasure who paid the great price with His life and Precious Blood for love of each one of us.

Prayer
Heavenly Father,
I come before You know with all humility. Grant me the grace and gift of wisdom in discerning Your will in my life. May I use this gift in my dealings and prayer with You and in my dealings with others.
May this gift enable me to see Your abundant generosity and love for me in all Your gifts, but especially in the gift of Your Beloved Son, Jesus as He gives Himself to me in the Holy Eucharist.
I pray this in Jesus' name.
Amen.

Comments

Michael said…
Love this prayer and message!

If we only had the true wisdom to see God's plan for us clearly, we would need very little else in this world. Things would make sense. We would prioritize properly. We would stop wasting time on things that are outside the plan, and stop worrying about things that are.

God Bless!
Mary N. said…
I'm with Michael - great post and reflection! Humility is the virtue that draws down tremendous graces from God, and as you say, He usually lavishes us with more than we ask for.
When I pray for wisdom I often turn to the Book of Wisdom and use the passage, "Therefore, I prayed and prudence was given me; I pleaded and the spirit of Wisdom came to me..." It's one of my favorite passages in the Bible.

"In our world today so many are searching for something. In reality they are searching for Someone." So true! I loved these words - they reflect one of the biggest problems in our world today. People are trying to fill that God-sized hole in their hearts with things and it never, ever works.
"In our world today so many are searching for something. In reality they are actually searching for Someone."

Very wise words Karinann. Thank you.

God bless.
Unknown said…
Thanks Michael, Mary and Victor. Glad you liked the post. Blessings to you all.
Unknown said…
Thanks Colleen.
EC Gefroh said…
Great post Karinann!