Let God Tickle You

One of the devotionals I am using as part of my Advent reading is Daybreaks put out by Liguori Press. My parish is kind enough to distribute these little booklets each Advent and Lent. The short meditations in this year's issue are by Kenneth G. Davis, O.F.M Conv.
Today's meditation really made me think about my sense of joy in recognizing the source of that joy. It also made me think about those times I fail to recognize it.
Have you ever tried to tickle yourself? Go ahead; I will give you a minute to try. Can't do it can you? In fact it is impossible for some reason. However, someone else can cause the uncontrollable laughter that results from being tickled.
After reading Fr. Davis' meditation today, I thought about all he was saying about how joyous we should always be because we know that God is always with us. That thought alone should put a perpetual grin on our faces. But as he points out, how often do we have the scowls of the Pharisees on our faces. They did not, would not, recognize God in their midst. No wonder they never smiled!
When I am really honest with myself and think about those times that I loose my cool, become impatient, or just walk around looking like I have the weight of the entire world on my shoulders, it is because I forget and lose the Presence of God that I know is within me.
Like being tickled, we can not create our own joy; our joy comes from Another. Advent is a good time to reflect on this so that we can rejoice and rejoice heartily in the Lord.
So go on, let our awesome God tickle you to the point of uncontrollable joy and laughter that you can't help but spread to everyone with whom you come in contact.
Advent Blessings!

Comments

Deanna said…
Merry Christmas!
Like your new look for your blog.
We all need a good tickle from God. Amen!
d
christopher said…
"Like being tickled, we can not create our own joy; our joy comes from Another" - fantastic theology, simplicity in Truth.
christopher said…
Why did you stop your reflections on the sea? Can you send me your email address? c_yurkanin@yahoo.com
Unknown said…
Deanna- Glad you like the background and the post. Thanks for stopping by.

Christopher- Thanks for your interest in my sea blog as well as this one. Check your e-mail.
As for the great theology, I can't take all the credit~it was inspired by Fr. Davis' reflection.
Anne Bender said…
I ditto Christopher! "Our joy comes from Another" I love that! I will try to remember not to scowl like a pharisee.
Anne said…
Sorry Karinann, I think my last comment signed in on my son Jack's account. Beast in the middle is his basketball nickname because he is a center! I hope you didn't think some crazy person was visiting your blog!
Unknown said…
Thanks Anne. I admit the beast in the middle had me intrigued. Glad you liked the post.
God Bless!