The Time Of The End


The Time of the End Is the Time of No Room is an essay from Thomas Merton's book, Raids on the Unspeakable. This essay was the reading for today in a book of Advent/Christmas readings I've been using throughout the season. Merton wrote this essay in 1966, but over 40 years later, its message is still a timely and important one for us.
It is not the usual light~hearted fare typically found in literature for this time of year, but if read in the spirit in which I believe Merton wrote it, it is truly hopeful. For we as Catholics believe that what the world sees as an end, is really the beginning.
I thought this essay was a good way to bring my 2009 posting to a close. Unfortunately I could not find the essay in its entirety on line, but I did find an excerpt over at Google Books which I have included here.
As 2009 comes to a close and we look ahead to all that 2010 holds, let us keep our eyes on the Child in the manger who was born to die so that we might live forever. It is in Him that we live and move and have our being.
Have a Happy and Blessed New Year!

Comments