Friday, July 10, 2009

The Book of Life

The Book of Life by Henri Daniel~Rops is a narrative retelling of the New Testament. This book is a translation (Donal O'Kelly) from the original French with simple sketch illustrations by Fritz Kredel. Sophia Institute Press is the publisher; this book is one of their ARKive Editions. ARKive Editions are exact photographic reproductions of books published decades or even centuries ago. The final page of the book has a detailed explanation of ARKive Editions.
As I stated at the beginning, this book is a narrative retelling of the events found in the four Gospels of the New Testament. The book does have a Nihil Obstat as well as an Imprimatur which assures the reader that all the information contained in the book is Scripturally sound.
I found this book to be a quaint read. The narrative format made me feel like I was sitting down to story time with a good storyteller. While it should by no means be used in place of actual Scripture, I would have no problem reading this book to children along with actual Scripture. There are questions and comments posed to the reader throughout the book; this gives the feeling of an on-going discussion as the story is told.
If you have young children, I would recommend this book as an entertaining and informative supplement to catechesis. Reading it as an adult, I recommend remembering the words of our Lord in coming to Him with child~like faith; read this book with the heart of a child.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book Reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on The Book of Life.

2 comments:

Brother said...

Thank you for making us aware of this book. As a religious brother, and an ordained minister, I often have family members asking me if I know of any good books for their children to help with catechesis. I am glad I can respond now.

Brother said...

I am glad you made us aware of this book because I often have parents asking me if I know of any good books to help there children with their faith. Glad I can respond now.

Closing Prayer

Psalm 45: Canticle of Love to the King

My heart overflows with a good theme;
I address my verses to the King;
My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.
You are fairer than the sons of men;
Grace is poured upon Your lips;
Therefore God has blessed You forever.

Gird Your sword on Your thigh, O Mighty One,
In Your splendor and Your majesty!
And in Your majesty ride on victoriously,
For the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness;
Let Your right hand teach You awesome things.
Your arrows are sharp;
The peoples fall under You;
Your arrows are in the heart of the King’s enemies.

Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
A scepter of uprightness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
With the oil of joy above Your fellows.
All Your garments are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia;
Out of ivory palaces stringed instruments have made You glad.
Kings’ daughters are among Your noble ladies;
At Your right hand stands the queen in gold from Ophir.