Monday, July 6, 2009

A Book Review~Fr. Elijah

This is just one of my own book reviews, not the ones I do for Catholic Company. I just finished Michael D. O'Brien's Father Elijah. Not in a very long time have I come away from a book feeling like it was one of the best things I have ever read. If you haven't read this book, I strongly recommend putting it on your "to read" list. It is not a quick read; it comes in at just under 600 pages. It is an apocalyptic novel and very prophetic as well. The book is classifed as fiction, but it will have you wondering about that. The book was written in the late 1990's, but describes much of what seems to be going on in the world and in the Catholic Church today.
One of the things I liked best about the book is that the characters become very real; it didn't take me long to feel like I had known Fr. Elijah and company.
You can go here to the Ignatius Press website to read a full summary of the book.
Next on my list of Michael O'Brien books~ Strangers and Sojourners.
Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I loved this book! Thanks for your review.

Closing Prayer

Psalm 45: Canticle of Love to the King

My heart overflows with a good theme;
I address my verses to the King;
My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.
You are fairer than the sons of men;
Grace is poured upon Your lips;
Therefore God has blessed You forever.

Gird Your sword on Your thigh, O Mighty One,
In Your splendor and Your majesty!
And in Your majesty ride on victoriously,
For the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness;
Let Your right hand teach You awesome things.
Your arrows are sharp;
The peoples fall under You;
Your arrows are in the heart of the King’s enemies.

Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
A scepter of uprightness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
With the oil of joy above Your fellows.
All Your garments are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia;
Out of ivory palaces stringed instruments have made You glad.
Kings’ daughters are among Your noble ladies;
At Your right hand stands the queen in gold from Ophir.