Wednesday, January 12, 2011

God's Gift Of A Snow Day

As I listened to the weather reports the last few days, hearing that we were in for yet another round of snow, I have to admit I was a little weary. New Jersey is not exactly a place where we have a whole lot of room to put the powdery white stuff.
So while I was pretty sure I would at least get a snow day out of this, I was dreading the inevitable digging out. I was awakened by the sound of the snow plows at 4:30 this morning- so much for sleeping in on my snow day.
Well I did manage to go back to sleep for awhile, then got up and made some coffee, prayed morning prayer, then checked out the blogosphere.
At around 10:30 I decided I may as well go and get the digging over with. Since I live in an apartment complex, the only digging I really need to do is my car, but at times that is enough. I stepped out into the cold, but sunny morning and found that the storm was not as bad as predicted, at least for us~ about eight inches had fallen. It took me only about 45 minutes to dig my car out. As I walked back to my apartment, I was struck by the beauty of the day. Despite the snow, winter is really one of my favorite seasons. But God has a way of making me appreciate each of his extreme seasons. Before going back inside, I stood on my stoop and thought about this. Yeah- winter in these parts can be a bit inconvenient and difficult sometimes, and our humid summers are not always that pleasant either, but God has His gifts to give in each. I find that I appreciate the changes in season, and God's gifts in each of them. I thanked Him for the amenities that I have to deal with the little hardships of winter and summer; there are many who are not as fortunate.
For my friends who live in areas without snow, here are a few pictures I snapped with my phone as I stood outside enjoying this fine winter day.
Now back to my snow day activities~ catching up on my reading, and maybe a movie or two thanks to Netflix.

7 comments:

christopher said...

... sooooo jealous.

Matthew said...

We had a large snowstorm here in Washington last night also but alas I was only on a two hour delay. Enjoy the day off! Nice pictures :)r

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you for praying for me when I was not well.

God bless.

Karinann said...

Christopher- would be happy to send a little of this your way :)

Matt- Our schools probably didn't need to close, but weathermen were predicting worse. Glad to have the day off though.

Victor- Glad to see you back- will continue to pray.

Colleen said...

Thanks for sharing your snow with us! God bless!

Deanna said...

snow, snow, snow!
sometimes we just need to get snowed in and sit!
i'm sittin'!!!

God bless,
d

Mary333 said...

Karin,
We got 17 inches of snow here in NH from that storm. Michaela had two days off from school! And you're right, it is pretty! I didn't even have to shovel because even my husband got a snow day :)

Closing Prayer

Psalm 45: Canticle of Love to the King

My heart overflows with a good theme;
I address my verses to the King;
My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.
You are fairer than the sons of men;
Grace is poured upon Your lips;
Therefore God has blessed You forever.

Gird Your sword on Your thigh, O Mighty One,
In Your splendor and Your majesty!
And in Your majesty ride on victoriously,
For the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness;
Let Your right hand teach You awesome things.
Your arrows are sharp;
The peoples fall under You;
Your arrows are in the heart of the King’s enemies.

Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
A scepter of uprightness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
With the oil of joy above Your fellows.
All Your garments are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia;
Out of ivory palaces stringed instruments have made You glad.
Kings’ daughters are among Your noble ladies;
At Your right hand stands the queen in gold from Ophir.