All Those Pink Ribbons

 They seem to be all over the place. The reason is that October is traditionally breast cancer awareness month. Now I have no problem with making people aware of breast cancer, research for its cure, as well as what can be done for early detection. My problem, and I have written on it before, is when a foundation that is supposed to be raising awareness is handing over huge sums of money to this nation's leading abortion provider. The Susan G. Komen Foundation seems to refuse to make known or even acknowledge the link between breast cancer and abortion. The research proving this is there, yet they continue to support Planned Parenthood financially.
The purpose of this post is not for me to go on a rant, but rather to direct you to an excellent article on this topic over at Catholic Exchange.
The article also sites the statistics for the link between breast cancer and oral contraceptive use. If you have ever read Pope Paul VI encyclical, Humanae Vitae, you know that this pope prophetically wrote about how the use of artificial contraception would increase the number of abortions (see the encyclical for his exact wording; I am paraphrasing.), not decrease them as the likes of Planned Parenthood and our culture in general would have us believe.
We need to not only educate ourselves, but also our young women and men. It all begins with chastity. As I tell any group of students I speak to: "If I had been living a chaste life, I never would have found myself in the position that led me to the decision to abort my child."
Many companies support Susan G. Komen; it is not always easy to know who they are, and it may not always be possible to stop buying a specific product, but let's do what we can where we can so as not to add one extra dime to this already multi-million dollar organization.
Part of what happened to me when I returned to living my faith was that I became somewhat of an activist. I have written to Christian radio stations who support SGK, I have stopped buying certain brands of yogurt, and most recently I walked off my local supermarket's deli line when I saw their sign supporting SGK. A few short years ago I probably wouldn't have done any of this.
I am not saying that abortion and oral contraceptives are the sole causes of breast cancer, but there are definite links. The Church teaches that both of these practices are intrinsically evil and with good reason~they destroy life.
May our actions preach the Gospel of Life in the midst of this present Culture of Death.

(I will have more to say in a future post on artificial contraception and its destructiveness on so many levels.)

Comments

Mary N. said…
It's strange how a foundation can support life by looking for a cure and support death at the same time. The United Way does this, too. It doesn't really make sense, does it? Thanks for the information. (And for the prayers!)
eligelavida said…
"Pope Paul VI ...prophetically wrote about how the use of artificial contraception would increase the number of abortions".

Also Pope John Paul II insisted in this issue.

Many people think that contraception is the most effective remedy against abortion. So the Catholic Church is accused of actually promoting abortion, because she continues to teach the moral unlawfulness of contraception.

The truth is that the negative values inherent in the "contraceptive mentality" promote the temptation of abortion when an unwanted life is conceived.
Unknown said…
Thank you both fir sharing your insights on this.
Eligelavida- I believe you summed it up well-"the truth is that the negative values inherent in the contraceptive mentality promote the temptation of abortion..."
At some point in the near future I hope to address this from my own life experience. The negative effects go far beyond the physical into the emotional as well as spiritual.

Mary continued prayers for Dad.