Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Those Falsely Accused

 The blog These Stone Walls is written by Fr. Gordon MacRae, a Catholic priest serving a prison sentence for a crime he did not commit. Father has been falsely accused of sexual abuse. For the last three weeks, he has written an enlightening series titled When Priests Are Falsely Accused.
Father Gordon is the first one to say that those who are guilty (and there are those who are) of this heinous crime should be punished; I agree wholeheartedly. However, there are a number of priests who have been falsely accused. The reasons for this vary, but money is often at the root of it. As heinous as sexual abuse is, it is also horrible when those who have not been abused say they are for monetary gain.
If you have never visited These Stone Walls, I urge you to do so. The link for this series will lead you to Part 3 of Father's series; you will find the links for Parts 1 and 2 on that post.
Let us pray for healing~ for those who truly have been abused sexually, for the innocent who have been falsely accused, for those who abuse our justice system, and for our Church.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

I do not know if we can ever be sure if someone is falsely accused or not, unless it is admitted by the accuser. Abusers are so charming and cunning that they can fool anyone.
However, I do want to say, as an incest survivor, that when someone falsely accuses a person of sexual abuse, it really has harmful effects on real survivors of abuse (as well as the accused, of course). We have a hard enough time coming out in public with our story, and we have a hard enough time thinking anyone will believe us. False accusations can set our "cause" (for want of a better word) back many years. I would be the first one to condemn someone who did such a horrible thing to an innocent person, and by doing so, also further victimizes those of us who have truly been abused.
Like you ended your post, I will pray for healing for all involved.
Hugs.

Karinann said...

Thanks for adding your thoughts on this Colleen. I'm glad you added that false accusations have harmful effects on actual survivors. I had that thought but since I am not a a survivor wasn't sure I should say it- again glad you did.

Colleen said...

Thank you, Karinann. Sometimes I am afraid to post comments like these. I am afraid of how they will be received or how I will be perceived. I obviously have a different viewpoint - and my own bias - because of my own experience. But my experience is one that is not often shared publicly for obvious reasons. And I feel like I need to sometimes.
You are always accepting and encouraging and welcoming when I post comments like this. Thanks. Hugs!

Karinann said...

Your comments on this topic are always welcome, Colleen. You and survivors like you need to be heard. Thanks as always for your courage.

HeartfeltHeartLook said...

Thank you for this post.

Closing Prayer

Psalm 45: Canticle of Love to the King

My heart overflows with a good theme;
I address my verses to the King;
My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.
You are fairer than the sons of men;
Grace is poured upon Your lips;
Therefore God has blessed You forever.

Gird Your sword on Your thigh, O Mighty One,
In Your splendor and Your majesty!
And in Your majesty ride on victoriously,
For the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness;
Let Your right hand teach You awesome things.
Your arrows are sharp;
The peoples fall under You;
Your arrows are in the heart of the King’s enemies.

Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
A scepter of uprightness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
With the oil of joy above Your fellows.
All Your garments are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia;
Out of ivory palaces stringed instruments have made You glad.
Kings’ daughters are among Your noble ladies;
At Your right hand stands the queen in gold from Ophir.