Jesus, What Have I Done?


These words were spoke by former Aerosmith star, Steven Tyler. We often hear the tragic stories of the fall of celebrities through addictions, immoral behavior, etc., but those things are often (not always) the effects of a much deeper cause. For many, these are self-medicating remedies used to deaden the pain caused by abortion. Such is the case for Steven Tyler.
Kevin Burke, co~founder with his wife, Dr. Theresa Burke, of Rachel's Vineyard Ministries, has written an article for National Review Online titled Post~Abortion Trauma. He cites some of Steven Tyler's experiences in trying to deal with an abortion he consented to for his young girlfriend in 1975.
Kevin Burke has done much to bring to light the pain men who have experienced abortion feel and how they feel it. Abortion has, for a long time, been thought of as a "women's issue". Kevin's books and hands on work in post abortion healing proves that this not just a women's issue. Men, celebrity or not, who give their witness of what this sin does also proves that abortion is not gender specific.
My own work in Rachel's Vineyard has given me the privilege of being an eyewitness to the healing of many men who have had the courage to come for healing. I always tell them that they are my heroes because seeing their courage and sorrow for what they have done helps me in my own healing.
You can read Kevin's article about Steven Tyler by clicking the link on its title above. For more on Kevin and Dr. Theresa Burke's books and work in post~abortion healing visit the Rachel's Vineyard website.
And always let us pray for an end to abortion and for the healing of those who have suffered its effects.

Comments

Mary N. said…
Karin,
Thank you for the link to the article by Kevin Burke. I don't usually find many articles about the after-effects of abortion in men with the exception of what you've written about your experiences with the men in the Rachel's Vineyard Ministry. I have to remember to pray a lot more for the healing of the men too. Do you know what is really sad? Out of the women that I know that have had abortions almost every single one would have chosen differently if they had the support of their husbands or boyfriends. This in itself shows that I need to increase my prayer that God heals the men as well as the women. I have an aunt who was placed under such extreme emotional pressure to have an abortion that she finally gave in. Her husband left her anyway and she is so riddled with guilt that it has harmed her mentally. It's so sad, Karin. She won't even go to church. Could you say a prayer for her? I pray for her every day and I feel so bad for her.

Thanks for writing about the pain the men feel too, Karin.

God bless you!
Unknown said…
Mary,
It is sadly true that many women, myself included, probably would have chosen life had our husbands/boyfriends supported us. (Their saying it's your body do what you want is not support, it is a mixed message.)I also know and understand the shame your aunt is feeling that keeps her out of church. I couldn't go into one either. I will pray for your aunt. You may want to talk to her about Rachel's Vineyard or Project Rachel. Also if she needs someone to talk to confidentially who has been through this, please feel free to give her my e-mail.
As for the men, yes definitely pray more. There is more about men and abortion on the Rachel's Vineyard site.
Daily Grace said…
Thank you for this post Karinann. Like Mary said, you don't hear much about the men involved, you mostly hear from the women.

The article is pretty powerful, I will include the men in my prayers too.

Thank you and God bless.
Unknown said…
Thanks and God bless, Daily Grace and Colleen.