The Subtleness of the Enemy

If you logged onto Catholic Exchange this morning, you saw an article called "What Hath Fifty Years of Barbie Wrought?" by Mary Anne Moresco. The article is quite thought provoking because I, like many women in their 30's and 40's, have fond memories of playng with Barbie and her friends. Back in the 1960's and 1970's she seemed innocent enough, but upon further reflection, Barbie gave the same message then that she continues to give today. After all she still looks the same. This is one of Satan's favorite MO's, "Looks beautiful on the outside, but dig a little deeper and it begins to look and smell pretty rotten." The Enemy and those who work for and with him love to use subliminals. Today it is not so subliminal. Barbie and today's permissive, immodest culture get along famously!

As for the effect Barbie has had on women of my generation, well I can't speak for everyone, but while my mother may not have seen the problem with Barbie, my subconcious got the message loud and clear. I was raised Catholic, but fell away from my faith and went right along with what the culture of the 80's and 90's was dishing out; premarital sex, birth control, abortion- all a woman's right. It took me almost 20 years, and a lot of prayer and recatechising from a good friend before I would find my way home again. Make no mistake; we are in the midst of a spiritual battle! It's has been that way since Eve took the apple. Parents now more than ever need to be aware of this battle because their children and grandchildren's lives are at stake. As the article states, we need to teach our girls (and boys) about inner beauty and modesty. The role models our society puts out there should not be emulated, they need to be prayed for. The young women saints like Bernadette and Maria Goretti should be emulated.

So, I don't know about you, but I won't be wishing Barbie a Happy 50th this year.

St. Michael the archangel defend us in battle.
Sts. Bernadette and Maria Goretti pray for our youth.

Comments